Rooted in History,
Built to Serve
The Village of Sergeantsville was settled around 1700 and was originally part of Amwell Township. Now part of Delaware Township, which was formed in 1838, the area was originally known as Skunktown until 1827. When the Post Office was established, as legend has it, they refused to name a Post Office for Skunktown. Sergeantsville was named for the Sergeant family and Charles Sergeant, who was a Revolutionary War soldier. The Sergeantsville Volunteer Fire Company has unofficially adopted the skunk as our mascot, and it can be seen on the side of our 2008 Rescue Pumper
Over sixty years ago, in 1951, a group of men met in the town hall making plans to form a fire company. The men were seeking the need for a fire company to put out the many blazes in our town that would most likely wind up in a pile of rubbish by the time a neighboring fire company could respond their men with trucks that had the capability of carrying water.
June 6, 1951 was the date the company was organized. Everyone pitched in to help in our progress. By mid July bylaws were formed. The Amwell Church and many barns had burned before the need fora company was evident.
On June 27, 1951 the Township Committee gave the fire company permission to organize.
Some of our early apparatus included a donated pickup truck that no known pictures exist.
A 1953 GMC chassis was bought for $2130 and with a torch and tool the members put together our first fire truck. The pump was purchased and tank installed and the members installed the pump and built the rest of the truck themselves.
The truck was housed in Stanick’s Barn equipped with a siren and a heater for those long cold winters.